Saturday 29 October 2011

Albany Dog Rock, Middleton Beach and Wind Farm

We had heard that there was a rock formation in the centre of Albany's main shopping area that was called Dog Rock. I'm not sure what we expected but it was worth checking out. I got quite a chuckle, as you can see it does really look like a dog!  And to top it off some enterprising soul had even painted a collar on it.

Middleton beach is the main town beach - 500 metres of white sand and the everchanging Southern Ocean.


We also visited the Albany Windfarm which generates up to 75% of Albany's power needs.


There are twelve 1800kW wind turbines. Each tower is 65 metres tall with 35 metre long blades, making it one of the largest types of wind generator in the Southern Hemisphere. 

The Windfarm is situated 80 metres above sea level and a tourist boardwalk out to the headland has been built.  I was very brave and walked down to get some spectacular pictures of the Southern Ocean.

 It's times like these I want to learn to paint but I just know I would never be able to replicate the colours variations or the grandeur of the Albany coastline!

No comments:

Post a Comment