Wednesday 16 November 2011

Elliston on the Eyre Peninsular

Feeling much better after a short rest, I decided to explore Elliston. It's a lovely little town of about 300 people and the most important thing...it's close to the beaches and a pub!
 I decided to go for a walk down to the beach from the caravan park. My first walk was not too far, 5 minutes and I was up to the park watching the waters rush into the bay.

Little did I know it, but the next day I would be walking along the otherside of these sandunes towards the far headland.


A close up of the the headland on one side of Waterloo Bay. If you look closely you can see the arch that has been formed by wind and wave erosion.  When I took the photo I thought that the only way I would get any clsoer was to drive. But the next days walk took me there and an arch isn't all I discovered.

The open ocean rushing into the calmer waters of the bay during tide change.

Don't be long, Geoff had said before I left on my walk. Whoops getting late, the sun is starting to go down turning the water into sheets of molten silver.  

These are pictures of the headland on the other side of the bay. As usual the water is like glass. Weather Witch strikes again!

The next day I decided to go for another walk as Geoff wan't feeling well and didn't want to unhitch the car. This time instead of turning right to go down to the main beach, I decided to turn left and see where that road led me. The walk to the beach the day before had only taken 5 or so minutes so I knew the beach was close by.
DUH! BIG SAND DUNES in way! I had to walk all the way around them and found myself up on the headland that I'd been taking pictures of the day before.
But it was worth it - I found all these secret little bays and beaches. What a lovely surprise, I would have like to keep exploring but had told Geoff I'd only been gone an hour and it had taken me over a half hour to walk to the headland.

This secluded beach even had some little rollers which helped make my day. But as you can see the open water was still calm. The headland with the arch is on the right of the picture.


Another little bay.


Now I am taking this from on top of the headland looking out at the first little secret bay. Although it wasn't much of a secret..there were people fishing down there. Grr! My beach!




I decided to take another road that led in front of some fo the big sand dunes I'd walked behind earlier. If you look closely you can just see the road at the top where I'd discovered the little hidden bays.

This is looking back down towards the main beach where I'd been yesterday. Eyre Peninsular is full of little Ports and Harbours, the tanks  in the background are from the next bay along.


From the top of a sand dune  about half way back to the main beach.


The old town council building at the corner of our caravan park.

The main street of Elliston just around the corner.

Walking back into the park grounds I was greeted by a group of fantail doves, showing off to one another.



No comments:

Post a Comment